Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Up a River Without a Transmission

Aloha, chapter 2- So I had just finished the deal and wanted to head home for the long drive before it got too dark. This was my first time in Portland, and I missed the turn off for the freeway and got turned around and forced me to explore some of the streets until I found my way back headed up river. I stopped and grabbed a sack of cheap burgers and hit the road. It was about 35' F and the wind was blowing. It was cold but I still wanted to stop and look at a beautiful place called Multnomah Falls. I was amazed at this area. There is a nice trail to the top, but I'm too cold to go up now. I will come back in the spring. It was dark now that I was back on the road and I did not have a clue where I was. I was just before Arlington when I was trying to pass a big slow semi truck. I pulled out from behind the truck and hit the gas to pass him. The Nissan just sounded like it popped into neutral. I thought I might of bumped the gear shift with my knee or something. It was very dark and I could not see. The road was wet with a steady light rain. I reached down and slid the shifter back which dropped it into 2nd gear from doing about 50 mph, the motor revved up, and the car slowed down. I pushed up the shifter to drive where it was suppose to be and gave it a little gas and the car went nowhere like it was in neutral. Oh-Oh, Houston we have a problem! I slid back behind the truck as he was probably wondering what the heck I was doing. I slowed way down and turned on my flashers and kept going slowly in second gear. It was pitch black out and I had no idea where I was. If I was rolling, I'd keep going, till I could pull off the road. I was lucky as the turn off the get to Arlington was just up ahead. I coasted right into the parking lot of a small gas station. I pulled to the side and opened the hood to check the fluid. The fluid was full with no glitter when I looked at it in the light. It did not smell burnt, It looked normal. There were no leaks under the car, and there were no grinding noise. Some how I did not have any 3rd gear or reverse. I pulled into the motel that was next door and called a tow truck to get my transmission fixed.
The closest place that had a tow truck was about 60 miles away, the lady said she only had one truck and two drivers. They were both out with the flu and would not be able to give me a tow till 3 or 4 days from now, (I think they just went hunting) I told her thanks anyway, but if she had another number I could call. I found another tow company that was 80 miles away in the other direction. They said the repair shops are not open till the next morning so I might as just call in the morning for a tow at that time. I checked into the motel and got a room.
Knowing this could take all day, I called at first light for a tow. The driver came about a half an hour later. The driver made no attempt to be quiet while he loaded the car onto the flatbed. He must of woke up every last person at that motel at 6:00 am. Sorry guys it was not me, it was the truck driver. I would of been mad if it was me that got woke up. But since it was not, I just laughed and got inside the tow truck.
He brought me to a large town that was in the direction that I was headed. I think the tow was over 80 miles away. He charged me about $300. I was thinking that my auto insurance might cover me on the cost of the tow, but found out the next day that they would only give me $50.
Now I was out of a car for about two weeks. I was looking at the weather hoping it would not snow. It was starting to look dark and gray.
Later the car was ready, but I was out another $3.5K, the car was almost not worth that much. I was debating to just throw the car away, but this was my dad's old car. It had low miles and was in good condition. I just did the brakes and hoses and belts. I also just changed the starter and a new battery. I figured I might as well fix it. I knew what I had.
The next day I bought a new set of snow tires, I did not want to drive back to Portland later with bad tires if the weather got bad. I had to reschedule the pick up date with the owner a few times. I guy that was going to help me bring it back would always find some excuse why he was busy that weekend and could not help that week. After about a month he agreed to helping me bring the beast back to the ranch. I payed for my new licence plates, and sales tax, bought some new insurance for it and bought a new subscription to "Good Sam"s" RV towing insurance in case I got stuck on the way home again. The tow for my car was $300, I did not want to think what a tow for a motor home would cost. I loaded the car with tools and anything I could think of that we might need. I would rather have it and not need it, then to want it and not have it. I brought everything.
My friend that was going to help me drive the motor home for me has more trucking experience and I don't have much, so we figured it would be safer for him to drive the motor home and me to drive the Nissan. I did not have a tow bar for the car.
We arrived at the house where the motor home was parked and called the salesman guy to come and open the gate. We did a very quick check of what we could and did not find any big red flags, just a few small ones. The jack buzzer would not shut up when we tried to bring the jacks up. I put a ratchet strap on it to hold it up tight. It must be a week spring or low fluid. We said thanks, and I told him I would send him an e-mail to let him know how the ride
back home goes. We revved up and hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment