Sunday, February 7, 2010

To Keep, Or Not To Keep

*Aloha, chapter 9- I don't like the fact that we live in a throw away society. I don't like to throw stuff out. I have a habit of saving old parts from things I have worked on and built. Being in the shipyards, I have seen major refits of large scale repairs of some ships. A lot of perfectly good old parts and supplies get thrown into the trash.
-After work, we would act like scavengers sometimes, and pick the small parts off a piece of junk. You would never know what you would find. A trinket here, a thingamajig from that, and some of that stuff that I will probably never use, but look, it's still brand new.
-Over the years of being an industrial pack rat, my small tool shed was being over loaded. I had 2 or 3 of everything, I know I have one somewhere, but I don't know what box I have it in. I need more space. I need to get organized.
-Just to let you know how pathetic this sounds to me, as I hear myself say it. I just did that. I moved here last year and packed up everything I had, and shipped it over to the ranch from Hawaii. I threw away a ton of junk that I had kept for years. I sold anything and everything I didn't want, and some stuff I did want. I still had literally tons of stuff. I packed two small containers that weighed 5 tons when they were full. The price for the container was set, so it did not matter how heavy they were. I threw every widget and gizmo I had inside that would fit.
-I need more then a tool shed, I need a warehouse. Well, maybe someday. Or at least a covered place to park the motor home.
-After realizing I needed more small electrical parts to finish wiring the ATS, I switched jobs, went inside and looked to see how the water tanks might fit. It looked like they laid out the tanks and plumbing so they could assemble these parts easily. To me, it looked like a waste of space.
-I knocked out the center section in the bed box. When I placed the tanks inside the space, I could tell I will have to remake the plumbing for the drain, as the old one will not fit where I want it. I will just make a new drain from scratch. I can make it look better then how they had it, and it will take up less room.
-I had the two tanks mounted with some blocks screwed into the floor, and started to hook up some fittings for my pump and accumulator.
-There must be a thousand different kind of fittings, brass, stainless steel, high pressure, air, water, gas. A million applications and sizes. And each one cost a lot of money. I need 6 of those things, and some of that stuff, and one of those do-hickys. I'm going to look in my tool shed.
_Hey, there's a couple of those things, and one of those do-hickys. And look, there's some of that stuff, and I can use it on that gizmo and it will make it look brand new.

No comments:

Post a Comment