Sunday, February 7, 2010

Different Volts For Different Folks

*Aloha, chapter 8- Cool, the UPS truck has come here about 3 times in two weeks. I have parts coming in faster then I can install them. It's starting to feel like Christmas, except that I realize that the bill on the credit card will come next week. I got four big boxes. Two 40 gal. water tanks, and two 110w solar panels with a voltage regulator. All I have to do is put them in. Ya, that's all...
-I looked at the solar panels. They were bigger than I thought. I hope they fit up on top somewhere. I will have to make them fit somewhere. I think solar power is worth the extra cost. I could use a lot more if I had them. I think these will give me a good start, and I can add more later. I don't want to run the generator if I don't need to. It would be nice if I never had to run the gen set, and I had the freedom to just park anywhere and not make any noise.
-Motor homes are a lot like boats with wheels, and everybody has a different level of a need to be independent. I guess some people can never be without a full hook up, and other people's power needs can be less.
- Once, while I was staying on a friend's house boat at the Ala Wai Marina, in Honolulu, I met a guy that came into the harbor, and tied up to the guest mooring in a small sailboat. He said he used to be a ship's captain on a container ship, and has sailed around the world numerous times. After listening to his stories, I believed him. He said he has sailed his small boat all over the world also, and he does not use an engine. Well he said he has one, but it does not run, and he needs to get some parts.
-He said he just sailed from Trinidad with basically no power. He ran his power from the alternator that was on the diesel engine that didn't run. He had his crank flash light so he could see inside the cabin at night. He cooked on a gas stove, and the heater was also broken. Sailing in the south pacific I don't think you would need a heater much, kind of like driving your motor home in Mexico. I can't imagine sailing alone for thousand's and thousand's of miles on the ocean with no power at all. -He said, ah, I didn't need it.
-But me, I'm not that independent. I wish I could hook up a welding machine to the generator of the motor home. I have to learn if there is a way to do that,(does anybody know how).
-Maybe someday in the very distant future, we will have electric powered motor homes with solar panels and batteries.-I guess different volts for different folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment