Friday, February 5, 2010

No Rules, Just Go

Aloha, chapter 6- I have read some of your replies, I'm going to try to be honest here. I can be as dumb as the next guy at certain things. I hope we can teach each other. Everybody is good at something... I don't know how to start a blog, I've never learned how. I have never taken any type of computer class ever. I will make some changes. I am still trying to figure out how to make entries into this blog. I will try to add more photos a little later. I don't have too many. And yes I will change the emblem on the front, I know, it's not my number. That photo was taken the day after it was parked. I will take the emblem off, and it will go up on the wall inside the barn somewhere.
I know my grammar and spelling are bad, but bare with me on that. No rules, just go.
When I was in school, I would get D's on my report card for English and spelling, as you can probably tell. I didn't pay attention to the rules for proper use of a comma, or a set of parenthesis,(I had to look that one up). If my writing mistakes make you laugh, then good. I hope we all can laugh.
I once had a writing teacher that told me something one time. She said, she would never mark a mistake on a paper for spelling or grammar. She said, she only wanted to read the story. It didn't matter what we wrote about, just write it. The story will follow. -No rules, just go.-
It was cold out, and I wanted to waste the day on my computer doing nothing. But I needed to get started working on the motor home. That brand new generator was sitting in the back of my pick up truck. I opened the side compartment and looked at the old brackets that were on the frame of the motor home. They were small and kind of wimpy, and they were too close together to fit the new gen set. I needed to cut off the the old brackets and make a complete new set to hold the 300 lb. gen set.
I went to the welding shop in town and bought a 16 ft. piece of 3"x3"x3/16" angle steel for $50. I used some 7018-1/8" welding rod and the old put-put welder that we have here at the ranch.
To cut the steel, I used a 4-1/2" grinder and a few cut-off blades. For small jobs these cut-off wheels will work. And use a face shield and ear plugs. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had a piece of metal fly into my eyes over the years, I could go buy a steak dinner. I'm lucky I am not blind. Trust me on this one. Protect your eyes, and your ears. If you want to hear the dog fart, when you get older, you better wear ear plugs.
I tried to make the brackets as strong as possible, without making it too heavy. I guess that when a 300 lb. load hits a bump, it could weigh a 1000 lbs. I don't want to be driving along, and hear a loud bang, look in the mirror and see my generator fall out on some mountain road. That wouldn't be good.
Before I made any sparks, I drained the gas from the tank, into some gas cans, and placed them far away, out of danger.
I went inside to disconnect the hoses and wires for the fuel pump. Most motor homes the pump can be changed from the inside. Usually the bedroom I would think. I found mine under the carpet. it had an ugly hole chopped in the floor, with a flimsy cover with a few small screws that were barely holding it on. If I stepped on it just right, it would of broke. I made a new piece of strong wood that fit the hole better. It could be screwed on tight so it would not break, but could still be unscrewed for access to change the fuel pump.
I started to dig out the foam that was covering the heater duct. I wanted the foam out of the way for when I weld. That foam can catch fire very easily and puts out some very toxic smoke.
-It's easier to keep a fire from starting, then to put one out that has already started.- And gas tanks don't just burn, they blow up.-
Take the extra time, and take the gas tank out, if you are going to do any welding or cutting close to the gas tank. For that one time, it could be the safest thing you never knew about, because nothing happened.
I looked at the tank and supported it with some jack stands and my floor jack. I sprayed some oil on the dirty bolts to make them come off easier,took them off with a wrench and dropped the tank.
And now that the tank is out of the motor home it is a very easy time to change the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Change it now and carry a new spare. I would think almost anybody could change their fuel pump and filter. It's about as hard as changing your oil, well sort of. It's really kind of easy. Just keep the windows open, and no smoking. Turn all the power off, extinguish all pilot lights, and turn off the propane tank. Use a flash light if you need some light to see. It's pretty much just take out the bolts and wires and change them out. The pump might cost $100. or so and the fuel filter can be about $10. Usually they can be found at most auto parts stores. It might be easier to take the old pump in with you to match the new pump. There can be a few different ones for the various gas engines. For diesel engines, that's a whole different story that I am not going to get into right now.
If you are not sure of yourself on how to change it safely, or you have too much money, or you don't want to get your tuxedo dirty, you can pay the man to do it for $1000... Or you could do it yourself in a couple of hours.
With the generator frame/bracket finished it was time to check my measurements and see if the generator was going to fit. This thing weighs almost 300 lbs. so I can't just pick it up. I don't have a cool little fork lift or anything. I made a card board template the size of the base of the gen set. I tried to see how that would fit, but it didn't. I missed the opening by about an inch when I slid the card board in at an angle. It wouldn't fit through the side door.
I decided to take my angle grinder and the cut off wheel and slice the opening bigger. With a 4'x18" piece cut off, the unit will slide in straight and easy, plenty of room. I could just pop rivet the flap back onto a piece of stainless steel piano hinge, and it would look perfect with the trim. A small bracket for that, and it would be fine.
I backed my truck up as close to the opening as I could. Then I stacked up a bunch of heavy blocks and boards to make a ramp, with a piece of plywood nailed on it that held everything together. I just slid the generator right into place with almost no effort. Wow, I love it when the plan comes together.
Now I need to buy some brass fittings to hook up the fuel line for the gen set, and also some flex conduit to run wires that go to the automatic transfer switch.
It looks good sitting on the frame. If you want it done right, then sometimes you have to do it yourself.--And I saved a lot of money too.

No comments:

Post a Comment